Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Interview Tips: What to Wear

As I was choosing my outfit for our composite pictures tomorrow, I was thinking about how much I was dreading putting on that suit (or at least the jacket). I seriously wish something else was acceptable for us to wear to an interview, but alas - at least for now - a suit is the expected attire. Before I went through recruitment, there was a fashion show for what to wear and what not to wear for reach round - I really think this should be implemented into law school as well. There are so many people who have never had to go to an interview before, or at least not an interview for a professional job. That being said, in addition to a suit there are a few more rules that should generally be followed when you're dressing for an interview - especially in the legal field.


1. Dark Neutral Suit

For an interview, a dark suit is really your best option. Dark neutrals are more formal and more appropriate in this setting. I have a navy suit, as well as a gray suit that I can wear. Black is acceptable as well, but can come off as a little too harsh sometimes, so sticking to something more like charcoal or navy is usually a better option.  I'll be honest, and I think most girls would agree, I hate wearing suits and feel like I don't look my best because it's not what I'm comfortable in. However, for an interview, especially in the legal field, suits are expected and it's a risky game to play not to wear a suit.

2. A Relatively Plain Blouse

There is some debate about this, but I have always been told, and personally believe that sticking to solid shirts are the best way to go. That being said, I have worn a striped oxford with my suit - and ended up getting that job - so rules are meant to be broken. The point here is really that you do not want to walk in to an interview in a bright neon shirt or a floral shirt. I get that for some of you it might seem like  you're having to hold back your personal style, and you might be, but again, this is the expectation and there are other ways to can shine without letting your appearance be the only thing they remember.

3. Natural Make Up

Soft, natural, and neutral. That really should be the outlook on your entire look - and the same still applies to makeup. Ideally, a little mascara and some lip color is enough. If you truly feel like you want to wear foundation to cover up some blemishes, make sure that it matches your skin and still looks natural, and the same goes for any eyeshadow and blush. You don't want to look like you're going to the bars, you want to look like someone is going to sit for the bar. (Excuse the poor attempt at a joke, I couldn't help it!)

4. Minimal Jewelry

In case you haven't heard, there is a "5 piece rule" when it comes to jewelry. It's really pretty self explanatory, you should wear no more than 5 pieces of jewelry when you go for an interview - there is some debate as to wether earrings count as one or two! This is also not the time to pull out your statement necklaces or giant dangle earrings. Keep it simple, pearls or other studs, a watch - only if you can keep yourself from looking at it, and perhaps an understated necklace. Similar to the other things listed above, you don't want them to remember you for what you looked like or what you wore, you want them to remember you for what you said and what you did. 


5. Heels. Shoes You Can Walk In

I feel 100x better when I am in heels, it's like I am on top of the world and can do anything I want. Not everyone feels this way, and not everyone has decided its worth the pain. However, pain aside, you need to make sure that you can walk in the shoes you decide to wear. Sometimes it might not matter because you think you just have to walk in and walk out and the rest of the time you're sitting down. But keep in mind that occasionally you'll be meeting with more than one person in the office and you might be the one moving around, or they might want to give you a tour of the office. When this happens you don't want to look like Bambi learning to walk. So, I would highly recommend heels, but if you are going to make a fool of yourself, wear flats, or hey - try out some nice wedges - I don't mean the kind with a hemp or cork heel, but the kind that look just like heels, except they have a wedge instead, something like this. The last thing you want to do is fall on your face.

Do you have an interview coming up? If so, good luck!! What else would you add to this list?

Have a Great Day, Y'all!
xoxo

linking up with:

No comments:

Post a Comment